Sunday, July 16, 2017

In Memoriam


For Sunday reflection, this from Maryam Mirzakhani in a prior Guardian interview (re-published from the Clay Mathematics Institute):
“…the most rewarding part is the ‘Aha’ moment, the excitement of discovery and enjoyment of understanding something new – the feeling of being on top of a hill and having a clear view. But most of the time, doing mathematics for me is like being on a long hike with no trail and no end in sight…. 
“I don't think that everyone should become a mathematician, but I do believe that many students don't give mathematics a real chance. I did poorly in math for a couple of years in middle school; I was just not interested in thinking about it. I can see that without being excited mathematics can look pointless and cold. The beauty of mathematics only shows itself to more patient followers."
[also see yesterday's posting ]


No comments: